You may be considering hiring a motorcycle accident attorney if you have been in involved in a collision around the St. Petersburg area. Going forward with a personal injury case and hiring a lawyer might seem daunting, especially if you have never gone through the process before. Here we offer a series of questions you may want to ask a potential lawyer before hiring him or her. Their answers to the questions provided will help you narrow down your choices to the one that best suits your needs.
Questions for Your Interview with a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Most personal injury lawyers in St. Petersburg, including motorcycle accident attorneys, will meet for a brief initial consultation at no cost. Preparing your questions ahead of time for this first meeting is extremely important because your time may be relatively limited. You should bring a pen and paper to record answers and take notes. Then you can compare the various lawyers after your consultations.
At the initial consultation, you will go over the details of your accident to determine the strength of a potential lawsuit. It is also the time you will figure out whether the lawyer in question is qualified to represent you.
We have listed many questions below, but do not feel obligated to ask every one of them. It is best to hone in on the ones that apply to you and start there. And though these inquiries are detailed, this list does not cover everything you may want to know. You may think of an even better or more relevant question to ask when hiring a motorcycle accident attorney in St. Petersburg. Do not be afraid to ask! You should feel comfortable with your lawyer and being unafraid to ask questions is important.
It is best to start this initial meeting by asking your potential motorcycle accident attorney about their background, legal skills, and professional experience. Questions you may want to ask include:
- How long have you been a lawyer?
- Where did you attend school and where did you get your undergraduate degree from? When did you graduate from university?
- How many motorcycle accident victims do you represent each year, on average?
- Are you a member of any professional organizations or bar associations? If so, which ones?
- How long have you been practicing in the St. Petersburg area?
You will want to inquire into each attorney’s approach to practicing law. Several questions you could ask along those lines are:
- How would you describe your style as a lawyer?
- What is your preferred method of working with clients? Will you present me with options and allow me to choose, or will you be stricter in your guidance, pointing me in the right direction based on your professional experience?
- What is your philosophy or approach in handling motorcycle accident cases?
Assessing Your Case
You will want to ask each motorcycle accident attorney you interview what their opinion of your case is and whether they think it will be successful. Potential questions to ask include:
- What kind of settlement should I expect to receive?
- What is your overall assessment of my case?
- Do you foresee any potential roadblocks that may delay or affect the outcome of my case?
- How likely is my case to go to trial?
- What percent of your cases go to trial each year in St. Petersburg or elsewhere? What percent do you settle?
- Approximately how long do you think it will take for my case to be resolved?
- Is arbitration or mediation an option?
If you have made it this far in the questioning and you think the lawyer you are interviewing is a strong candidate, then you can move onto questions about case management. Relevant questions include:
- First and foremost, are you available to represent me, given the timing of my case?
- Will another motorcycle accident attorney manage my case or will you handle it personally?
- Will any other lawyers work on my case? If so, what will their role be?
- Will you personally handle court appearances and negotiations?
- Who will be my day-to-day contact?
- What is your preferred way to communicate? Should I expect an immediate response?
- Will you provide progress reports? If so, how frequently, and what will be included?
Legal Fees and Expenses
Though most personal injury lawyers in St. Petersburg (and elsewhere) work on a contingency basis, it is still a good idea to make sure this is the case before signing anything. Questions to ask to help determine the estimated cost of your case include:
- Will I have to pay you anything if we lose the case or do not get a settlement?
- How are you compensated for your time?
- Do you require retainer fees?
- Can you run the approximate numbers so I have a visual representation of what to expect after legal costs and expenses are factored in? If we go to trial, what should I expect to receive financially?
Hiring A St. Petersburg Motorcycle Accident Attorney
After you have met with each lawyer, it is time to choose which one will represent you. Here are some final questions that will help narrow down your decision:
- Which attorney has the best-proposed strategy?
- Are the expected expenses and legal fees reasonable?
- Which attorney has the specific skills and experience to best handle my case?
- Is each lawyer’s estimated award realistic?
- Which motorcycle accident attorney will I feel most comfortable working with, and which one do I trust the most?
Hopefully, these questions help guide you through the process of finding the best legal assistance. However, what it boils down to is choosing the St. Petersburg lawyer that you are most comfortable with.
To make the search even easier, contact the legal professionals at K LAW, PLLC in St. Petersburg at (727) 201-8444 for a professional and experienced motorcycle accident attorney. We put our clients first and will always go the extra mile to ensure the best chance at a positive outcome. Contact us today to begin!