We sincerely hope that you will never need to ask yourself, “ What do I do in case of a hit and run driver? ” Unfortunately, hit and runs happen in St. Petersburg and knowing what to do in this type of situation will allow you to take action if you or someone you know should ever be the victim.
A hit and run driver is someone who leaves the scene of an accident, failing to address his or her statutory duties when the vehicle crash involves property damage, bodily injury, or death.
Is Hit and Run a Crime?
Yes, under Florida State Law, a hit and run is a criminal offense. If the offender is proven guilty, the conviction may result in a misdemeanor or felony penalties. The degree of sanctions depends on whether the crash involved property damage, injury, or death.
What Evidence is Required?
When asking, “ What do I do in case of a hit and run driver in St. Petersburg? ” always think about proof. To obtain justice as a victim, four points of proof must be established beyond a reasonable doubt.
- The Driver: the defendant was the driver at the time of the crash.
- The Crash: the defendant knew/or should have known that he was involved in the accident.
- The Damage: the defendant knew/or should have known that property damage, injury, or death occurred.
- Failure to Provide Identifying Information: the defendant failed to stop at or near the scene of the accident to provide the victim with identifying information.
What Do I Do Immediately?
Knowing what to do in case of a hit and run driver involves obtaining proof immediately. Gather as much information about the driver as is possible and take notes about the accident scene in St. Petersburg. Get as much information as possible including:
- License plate number
- Car description
- Driver description
- Exact time of day
- Photo or video footage
- Any witnesses and their contact information
What Do I Do In Case Of a Hit and Run Driver? Call K LAW!
Leaving an accident scene is an awful crime resulting from a driver’s desire to evade responsibility for their actions. If you or someone is facing the hard question, “What do I do in case of a hit and run driver?” in St. Petersburg, contact the attorneys at K LAW for a free consultation or call today at (727) 201-8444.