After an accident in the Bradenton area, it is best to hire a personal injury attorney. A professional can help you make sense of your case, understand your rights, and get you the compensation you deserve. To protect your rights and ensure that the legal system or insurance companies do not take advantage of you, reach out to K LAW, PLLC in Tampa Bay for assistance. Our firm has extensive experience with a variety of legal cases, and we can help you after you have been injured in an accident.
Do You Need a Personal Injury Attorney?
Some people in Bradenton may attempt to resolve their case without the assistance of a personal injury attorney. However, having a professional guiding you through the process is a wise decision. After all, they have the experience, education, and tools necessary to succeed. In particular, lawyers can help you understand what compensation you deserve, file any paperwork that may be necessary, inform you of appointments you need to make, negotiate with insurance companies, represent you in court, and so much more. There are so many things, large and small, that lawyers help with. For just about any case, the attorney’s fees are more than justified.
Cases that involve serious injuries like paralysis or long-term disabilities should definitely work with a personal injury attorney in Bradenton. Additionally, severe injuries or any injuries that an insurance company balks at can benefit from the professional presence of a lawyer. Sometimes, showing them that you mean business is all it takes to get them to act.
What is at Stake in Personal Injury Cases?
Primarily, there are two kinds of compensation that is at stake when it comes to personal injury cases; compensatory damages and punitive damages. A personal injury attorney in Bradenton will better understand nuances and know which ones apply to your case.
Compensatory damages, as the name indicates, are meant to offer compensation to the injured plaintiff after an accident. Essentially, the consequences of the accident are assigned a dollar amount, which the plaintiff can then use to cover their expenses. Compensatory damages include:
- Medical Care. This may include ambulance fees, doctor visits, medications, surgeries, procedures, and more. In addition to covering treatments you have already received related to your injuries from the accident, this may also take into account future expenses, especially if permanent injuries are sustained.
- Loss of Income. If the accident impacted your ability to work, causing you to miss days of work or impeding your ability to perform your work, you might receive lost wages. You may be able to receive past, present, and future wages, depending on the injuries.
- Property Damage and Loss. This can cover vehicle damage and even other property like clothing or valuables that were damaged in the accident.
- Emotional Distress. If the accident severely affected your psychological wellbeing, you may also receive damages for such.
- Pain and Suffering. It may be difficult to assign a dollar amount to pain and suffering caused by an accident and the aftermath, but you may be able to receive compensation nevertheless.
- Loss of Consortium. Typically meant for when a plaintiff loses a spouse in an accident, this can also cover the loss or injury of a child or parent.
Punitive damages cover what is necessary to ‘make someone whole’ and compensate for suffering that goes beyond compensatory damages. If the defendant acted in a grossly negligent way, the plaintiff might be awarded punitive damages. Punitive damages are less to award the plaintiff and more to punish the defendant for particularly egregious actions or negligence. In Florida, the awarded amount cannot exceed three times the compensatory damages award or $500,000, whichever is higher. Your personal injury attorney in Bradenton can help you understand what this means for your case and how it may affect your award.
Rely on K LAW, PLLC in the Bradenton Area for a Personal Injury Attorney that Cares
When you need the assistance of a personal injury attorney in the Bradenton area, trust K LAW, PLLC. Our firm has many years of experience helping clients recover compensation after an accident. To schedule a consultation with a lawyer, call our firm today at 941-242-5550 or reach out to us online.