Unfortunately, accidents happen every day. Whether it is multiple cars that collide or a biker that fails to brake and hits a pedestrian, Tampa Bay Florida is not immune to pedestrian accidents. According to the Governors Highway Safety Association, the number of pedestrians killed in traffic increased eleven percent in 2016 to almost 6,000. Another nearly 80,000 suffered injuries. This number will only increase with distracted drivers and pedestrians out on roads and sidewalks. Many people are focused on their phone or have headphones on that prevent them from being cautious travelers, leading to injuries and accidents. If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, trust a personal injury attorney to help you recover.
Pedestrians Have a Duty of Care
Just as drivers are expected to obey the rules of the road and use caution while operating a vehicle, pedestrians also have a duty of care. If, as a walker, you fail to reasonably exercise caution to mitigate dangerous situations, you are breaching your duty of care and exhibiting pedestrian negligence. Pedestrian negligence may include
- Crossing the street at non-designated crosswalks
- Entering the road without a ‘walk’ or ‘cross’ signal
- Moving in front of a vehicle or disrupting the flow of traffic
If you were negligent, the law may assess contributory negligence against your actions. In cases like this, a personal injury attorney in Tampa Bay, Florida may be able to help you build your case.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
For the most part, driver negligence is the cause of pedestrian accidents in the Tampa Bay, Florida area. Here are some examples of actions taken by the driver that can lead to an incident:
- Speeding. Going too fast or driving recklessly can, unfortunately, lead to accidents. It may be hard to see people walking while driving, leaving them vulnerable to harm.
- Driving under the influence. Whether under the influence of drugs or alcohol, these substances can impair inhibitions.
- Driving distracted. From texting to adjusting the music to using a phone to navigate, just about anything can distract drivers from the road. Looking away even for a moment can lead to disastrous consequences.
- Failing to yield to pedestrians. In most places, pedestrians have the right of way. If a driver blows through a crosswalk, they could seriously hurt someone.
Hire a Personal Injury Attorney After an Accident
For victims of pedestrian accidents, contacting a personal injury attorney in Tampa Bay, Florida is essential. A lawyer can help you figure out how much compensation your injuries may recover, as well as other factors that can contribute to compensatory damages.