A wrongful death attorney is an invaluable asset for bringing forth a strong case in St. Petersburg. If your loved one died due to someone else’s negligence, you deserve compensation for the loss. These lawsuits are civil actions, not criminal cases, so the burden of proof is lower. For the case to succeed, rather than the defendant being guilty beyond a reasonable doubt as it is in a criminal case, the suit must be won on the preponderance of evidence. Therefore, it is the best decision to hire a trusted professional with vast experience to help you gather quality evidence and prepare for the case. Rely on the hard-working team at K LAW, PLLC in St. Petersburg.
Proving Wrongful Death
For your wrongful death attorney to succeed, they will need to demonstrate the following elements:
- A human being died.
- There was a duty of care that was breached. To place the fault on another (whether another individual, a business, or an entity), a wrongful death attorney must show that the defendant owed the deceased a duty of care and breached that duty. For example, if the deceased died due to medical malpractice and the surviving family is suing a hospital for negligence, the defendant (the hospital) owed the patient (the deceased) a responsibility to care for them to the best of their ability.
- The person’s passing was caused by someone else’s negligence or intentional harm (breach of duty of care). In the example above, perhaps a physician prescribed the wrong dosage or medication to a patient, causing them to go into liver failure, and dying.
- The surviving family suffer monetary hardship because of the demise. Medical care is expensive, and recovering costs to pay for the deceased’s care, funeral expenses, and to cover the emotional loss are all types of compensation the plaintiffs can recover.
Recovering Damages in a Wrongful Death Case
With the help of an experienced St. Petersburg attorney, plaintiffs can recover compensation such as:
- Lost wages and employment benefits
- Medical expenses (medication, surgery, hospital stays, ambulance trips, etc.)
- Pain and suffering
Because every case is different, it is best to contact a lawyer at K LAW, PLLC in St. Petersburg to discuss what compensation your case may be able to receive.
Choose a Wrongful Death Attorney at K LAW, PLLC in St. Petersburg
The process of a wrongful death case requires many complicated steps. It is smart to hire a wrongful death attorney because you will need to develop a strategy, establish a claim, gather witnesses, and more. Additionally, the legal process requires demands, mediation, settlements, and lawsuits, depending on the settlement negotiations. Choose an experienced professional to guide you through the process. Choose K LAW, PLLC in St. Petersburg. Call us today at (727) 201-8444 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.