We sincerely hope that this is one question that you do not need to deal with personally, but we know that life is unpredictable and if you or a close friend just lost a loved one in St. Petersburg due to wrongful death, read on.
Just because a loved one has died does not mean that those close to him or her, have rights for loss recovery. Those who can sue must meet restriction guidelines.
Those eligible to sue for wrongful death include:
- Personal Representative of the Estate: This individual is also known as the executor (or executrix if female). This person is either selected or appointed as the personal representative of the estate of the deceased person.
- Spouse: The legal wife or husband of the deceased person. There are many factors which can put limits on the spouse, such as the intent to divorce before the death occurred.
- Children: Regardless of age, a child may be able to receive compensation for the loss of “support services.” Restrictions determine what they are entitled to based on whether there is a surviving parent, along with other limitations.
- Parents: If the person was under the age of 25, parents might be able to sue for the lost support and services, medical or funeral expenses for the child, and psychological suffering.
- Blood relatives: Blood relatives (including adopted brothers or sisters) who were dependent or partially dependent on the deceased person’s finances or services may be able to recover some of their losses.
K Law Can Help You with Wrongful Death
At K Law, we understand that a wrongful death case is a very complex situation, and one that is tough to handle. We are very sorry that you or someone close to you may be dealing with this misfortune in St. Petersburg. We want to help you recover as many losses as you have a right to. If you are one of the five potential claimants or have questions about your position and whether you can sue, contact K LAW or call today at (727) 201-8444 for a free consultation with a wrongful death attorney in St. Petersburg. We are all the help you need!