If you were in an accident and you were injured, you may be looking for a way to recover compensation for the damages. Many people in St. Pete miss work after an accident because of their injuries. The results of a crash are unfortunate and unforeseen, and can cause serious financial detriment for the victims. If you have missed work because of an accident, you may want to file a lost wages claim. Read on to learn more about what you need to make a claim and how a personal injury attorney at K LAW, PLLC can help.

What Constitutes Lost Wages?

Before you can file a lost wages claim, you need to determine if your case applies to this situation. Lost wages are the money you would have earned from your work if you hadn’t been injured in the accident. The time period this covers spans from the date of the accident until the date of the settlement or judgment. To qualify, your injuries must have been the result of the accident and not from any prior event. If your claim is approved, you can recover the amount of money you would have earned if you hadn’t missed work to receive medical treatments or stayed home to recover from your injuries.

Lost earning capacity and lost compensation may also be a part of your damages. Lost earning capacity examines any permanent disability or injury you received that may diminish your ability to work. On the other hand, lost compensation may include wages as well as other financial benefits like pay bonuses you would have earned if not for the accident in St. Pete.

Submitting a Lost Wages Claim

To recover damages and submit a claim, you should talk to a personal injury attorney in St. Pete. Generally, victims will make a request with their insurance company since Florida is a no-fault state or file a lawsuit against the other driver if the accident was serious. Most attorneys will recommend or require you to wait until your medical treatment is complete and you are in a stable condition before filing a claim because you need to know how much your recovery cost if you want to recover the full amount.

After you submit a lost wages claim, the insurance company will likely require you to undergo an independent medical examination, submit documentation of your medical treatments, and submit an employee authorization form that allows your employer to provide information about your employment. Be as detailed and thorough as possible when completing these documents. Any incomplete or inaccurate statements could cause a claim denial.

Call K LAW, PLLC in St. Pete After a Personal Injury Accident

Most people who successfully file a lost wages claim in St. Pete succeed because they worked with an experienced, professional attorney. The law firm of K LAW, PLLC helps Tampa Bay area personal injury victims recover. For a free consultation, call us today at (727) 201-8444 or contact us online.